What is Essure®? It is a permanent birth control procedure that works with the body to create a natural barrier against pregnancy. This gentle Essure procedure can be performed in a doctor’s office in less than an hour.
With Essure, there is:
- No cutting
- No going under general anesthesia
- No slowing down to recover
- No hormones
- No guessing – your doctor can confirm when you can rely on Essure for birth control
- Short procedure time – Essure® only takes about 13 minutes to perform
- Used successfully by women and doctors for over five years
The Essure® procedure is permanent and is NOT reversible. The decision to undergo Essure should be made when there is no possibility of a future plan to have children.
The Essure® procedure does not require any cutting into the body. Instead, one of our Essure®-trained doctors inserts small, flexible micro-inserts™ through the body’s natural pathways (vagina, cervix, and uterus) and into your fallopian tubes. The procedure can be performed in the comfort of our Brookside office without general anesthesia, and most women resume their normal activities within one day.
During the 3 months following the procedure, your body and the micro-inserts work together to form a natural barrier that prevents sperm from reaching the egg. During this period, you must continue using another form of birth control.